Support for student research

Funding is available only to students declared as majors in the department of Sociology & Anthropology.


Graduate Student Conference Travel

The department will provide up to $600 per MA student per academic year for travel to conferences in which the student is the primary author and presenter of a paper or poster that has been accepted for presentation. The applicant must provide evidence of abstract acceptance, a copy of the abstract, and an estimated travel budget (i.e., conference fee, travel, lodging) using the College of Arts and Sciences travel prediction form. Submit all application materials to the chair of the Department of Sociology and Anthropology. Students are encouraged to seek matching funds from other sources such as the College of Arts and Sciences and the Graduate Student Senate for expenses that exceed $600.  A student must have been matriculated at Lehigh within three months of the time of the conference travel (e.g., no student would be funded to attend a conference more than three months after graduation). As a condition of the travel support, we are asking you to promote our Sociology MA at the conference. Any presentation slides, handouts, or posters must clearly acknowledge Lehigh University and the Department of Sociology & Anthropology. Please take Sociology MA promotional materials with you and distribute them as you feel appropriate and as opportunities may arise. Program promotional materials are available in the department’s main office.


Graduate or Undergraduate Student Research

The department will fund up to $1000 for field research for a graduate or undergraduate student. No more than two projects will be funded in each semester. The student must be mentored by a sociology or anthropology faculty member. Applicants will submit a 2-page research description, a budget, and a letter of support from the faculty mentor to the department chair by November 1 or March 15. The application must identify a deliverable product at the end of the project, such as a thesis, a report for an external agency, or submitting a conference paper or poster proposal, which must be specified in the application. Applications will be reviewed by a faculty committee. Students applying for summer research are required to also apply for College of Arts and Sciences or Strohl undergraduate research grants.